Understanding Message IDs
Messages in Microsoft Dynamics GP are used to email documents to customers or vendors. Below is some helpful information to help you understand how message IDs work in the GP environment and a few useful workarounds. For the purpose of this article I will use the term emailing an ‘invoice’ but this applies to most things you email from Dynamics GP.
Effects of Changing a Message ID
When you change a message ID in GP you expect the change to take effect through the whole system, but that is not the case. When you change a message ID, the change will only affect new invoices created in GP, unposted and saved invoices will still have the old message ID associated to them.
If you email a historical invoice it will use the message ID that was in place at the time the invoice was created, even if the message ID has been modified since. The email will also use the information that was on the customer card internet info at the time the invoice was created, even if it has never been emailed out before.
The naming convention of the document sent out of GP starts with the company name from GP. If you change the company name in GP, any invoice that was created prior to the name change when emailed will have the old company name as the document name. Any invoice emailed out after the name change will have the new company name as the document name.
There are a few workarounds you can do to change the email sent out of GP.
When emailing an unposted invoice, you can edit the email that will be sent:
1. On the sales transaction entry window click the email icon before the customer ID.
2. The Sales Email Detail Entry window will open, here you can pick a different message ID by clicking the blue link or modify the email completely (email addresses, subject, message body)
When emailing a posted invoice, you can edit the email that will be sent:
1. On the sales transaction inquiry zoom window click the email icon before the customer ID.
2. The Sales Email Detail Inquiry Zoom window will open, here you can change the message ID by clicking the blue link or you can click the Edit Email button on the ribbon.
3. If you click the Edit Email button the Sales Edit Email Detail Inquiry window will open, here you can modify the email addresses.
The Definitive Guide to Dynamics GP Upgrades
Get 9 premium pieces of content that will help you plan a Dynamics GP upgrade!Get The Upgrade Guide Now
The Definitive Guide to Dynamics GP UpgradesGet The GP Upgrade Guide
Fabrice is a Dynamics GP Solution Specialist with a B.Comm, majoring in Accounting. She has previously worked as an auditor at a large firm and now spends her days communicating with Encore clients and helping to resolve their issues with Dynamics GP.More from Fabrice Vermeer
Follow these steps below if you need to create a new user in Microsoft Dynamics GP: 1. Log in as ‘sa’ 2. Go to the Administration Page 3. Under Setup click User a. Enter User ID. Note: Remember User ID will be case sensitive b. User Name c. Class ID (if being used) d. Status…