Boxing logic represents an automatic and efficient process for picking and grouping items on a pick route. This feature dates back to Dynamics AX 2012 R3, but here I will focus on explaining the feature in Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations.
The boxing logic feature considers the weight, volume, and dimensions of the product in order to arrive at the best-sized box, and also optimizes the maximum capacity of that box for the set of items on the picking route. The picking and shipping functions then determine whether multiple items are boxed together or not depending on the box size requirement. A box name is then assigned to the picking route and the picking routes are split per box. For example, if we have 12 items to ship to the same address, it is best for these items to be shipped as 1 medium box containing 10 items and 1 small box containing 2 items or 1 large box containing 12 items instead of using 12 separate boxes for the shipment.
Alternatively, if an item already has a suitable package, it may not not require boxing. In this case, the Ship Alone flag should be set to ‘Yes’. Different rules and settings can be applied based on the particular nature of business operations in order to get the best value.
What Setup Looks Like
- The first step is to activate boxing logic by navigating to Inventory Management → Setup → Inventory and Warehouse Management Parameters and then setting the boxing logic for picking workbench to “Yes”
With boxing logic now activated, we can proceed with configuring the product for boxing:
- Go to Product Information Management Module → Products → Release Product
- Select the Released product and then go to the Deliver fast tab
- Change ‘Apply boxing logic for picking workbench’ to ‘Yes’
- Ensure that the weight measurement and physical dimensions have been set for this through the Manage Inventory fast tab
The next step would be to setup the boxes:
- Inventory management → Setup→ Picking Workbench → Box Definition
The active flag must be toggled to ‘Yes’ and the Depth, Width and Height and Weight as well as Weight limit and Maximum utilization must be set. The volume will automatically be calculated based on the information provided in those parameters.
Please note; the maximum utilization can be set to state how much the box will be filled with product. For example, if the value is set to 100%, no room will be left for any packing materials. 80% – 90% is always an ideal value to ensure that there is room for packing materials.
Contact Us About Your AX Needs
We specialize in providing technical assessments, break-fix support, optimization services, and solution expansion projects for Dynamics AX (Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations).Contact Us