Dynamics AX (7) Screenshot Extension
Learn how to set up a screenshot extension to enable screenshots with task recorder document generation.
Task Recorder can take screenshots within the browser of AX forms as a user records a business process. Task Recorder uses these AX screenshots to generate Microsoft Word documents after the user completes the recording. In order to have screenshots included in the generated document, a Google Chrome extension must be installed that enables Task Recorder to capture screenshots during recording. Chrome must be the browser the end users logs into AX with. Note that Google Chrome does not allow extensions to run in Incognito mode and end users cannot take screenshots with Incognito mode enabled. To install the extension on each end-users workstation, complete the following steps:
Install the google chrome extension, find the download available here:
- Download the file from Yammer (must sign in)
- Open Google Chrome
- Go to Menu > More tools > Extensions
(Within Google Chrome, the Extensions menu can be found under Settings > More tools > Extensions)
- Select the Developer mode box
- Click Load unpacked extension
- Browse to the folder containing the Task Recorder extension, select the folder, and click OK. The extension is loaded. Ensure that the Enabled box is selected to turn the extension on. With a locally hosted developer machine, the extension should be located at <local disk>\FMLab\TaskRecorderScreenshot. Otherwise, download the FMLab folder which contains the extension by downloading the folder from the Dynamics AX Feedback Community Yammer group:
- Restart Chrome (Close all browsers and re-open)
- Task Recorder will now take screenshots of the tab that has the client running. Task Recorder does not capture screenshots from other tabs within the browser, third party application such as Excel or of the user’s desktop
- Check that task recorder is able to begin taking the screenshots, within AX select the settings Icon:Select task recorder:Notice the new “Capture screenshots” toggle, ensure that this is set to enable screenshot capture:
The original AX 7 steps listed in the Wiki help files for the Chrome screenshot extension can be found here.
We specialize in providing technical assessments, break-fix support, optimization services, and solution expansion projects for Dynamics AX (Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations)