The Document Attachment feature in Microsoft Dynamics GP allows users to attach documents to various records within the Dynamics GP system. These documents can include invoices, receipts, contracts, images, and any other relevant files. This feature enhances the visibility and accessibility of documents associated with specific transactions or records, making it easier to retrieve supporting documentation when needed.
For example, if you’re looking at a specific vendor invoice or a customer order within Dynamics GP, you can use the Document Attachment feature to attach scanned copies of related paper documents, digital files, or even notes. This ensures that all relevant information is consolidated and readily available within the context of the transaction.
Table of Contents
- Benefits of Using the Document Attachment Feature
- Enabling the Document Attachment Feature
- Setup Options
- How to Attach Documents in Dynamics GP
- How to Email Attached Documents
- Document Attachment SQL Tables
Let Dynamics GP Do the Filing for You
Beginning with Dynamics GP Version 2013 R2, the process of attaching documents and images in Dynamics GP was enhanced with a new feature called Document Attachment, also known as “DocAttach.”
In subsequent releases, Microsoft has added additional functionality around the Document Attachment feature to make it a comprehensive solution.
Benefits of Using the Document Attachment Feature
- Versatility: You can attach a wide variety of file types, such as PDFs, images, Word documents, and more.
- Accessibility: Attached documents can be accessed directly from within the specific transaction or record, eliminating the need to search for physical copies or files stored elsewhere.
- Audit Trail: The Document Attachment feature helps maintain an audit trail by allowing users to see who attached a document and when it was attached.
- Searchability: Some versions of Dynamics GP may provide search capabilities within the attached documents, making it easier to locate specific information.
- Integration: The Document Attachment feature can be used across various modules within Dynamics GP, including financials, sales, purchasing, and more.
- Security: Access to attached documents can be controlled based on user roles and permissions, ensuring that sensitive information remains secure.
- Ability to scan documents directly into Dynamics GP with a compatible Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) enabled scanner/printer.
Enabling the Document Attachment Feature
To begin using the Document Attachment feature, initial setup needs to be completed in each of your Dynamics GP companies.
Select, Microsoft Dynamics GP >> Tools >> Setup >> Company >> Document Attachment Setup:
In the Document Attachment Setup window, define your desired setup options.
Allow Document Attachments
Mark “Allow Document Attachments” to enable the Document Attachment feature.
Depending upon your Dynamics GP version, you can access the Document Attachment functionality in the following Master Records:
- Item Master
- Customer Master
- Vendor Master
Also, depending upon your Dynamics GP version, you can access the Document Attachment functionality in the following Transaction Entry and Inquiry windows:
- Bank Deposit Entry
- Bank Deposit Entry Zoom (if enabled in setup)
- Bank Transaction Entry
- Bank Transaction Entry Zoom (if enabled in setup)
- In-Transit Transfers
- Payable Transaction Entry
- Payable Transaction Entry Zoom (if enabled in setup)
- PTE Employee Expense Entry
- Purchase Order Enter/Match Invoices
- Purchase Order Entry
- Purchase Order Inquiry Zoom (if enabled in setup)
- Purchase Order Purchasing Invoice Inquiry Zoom (if enabled in setup)
- Purchase Order Receiving Transaction Entry
- Purchase Order Receiving Transaction Inquiry Zoom (if enabled in setup)
- Purchase Order Returns Transaction Entry
- Receivable Transaction Entry
- Receivable Transaction Entry Zoom (if enabled in setup)
- Sales Order Fulfilment
- Sales Transaction Entry
- Sales Transaction Entry Zoom (if enabled in setup)
Attachment Location Options (Optional)
If desired, enter or select a default file location where document attachments will be stored.
Delete file from Default Location after attachment
If a Default Location is set above, mark this option if you wish to have the source documents deleted from the file location once attached in Dynamics GP.
Maximum File Size (Optional)
If desired, enter a file size limit for documents attached in Dynamics GP. The default Maximum File Size is 999.99 megabytes.
Note, you can also set the Maximum File Size for each Customer or Vendor Master Record which will be applied when emailing.
Attachment Management Defaults (Optional)
Allow attachments to be deleted
Mark this setting If you would like to allow users the option of deleting attached documents.
You can specify a password users must enter if they choose to delete an attached document. If the password field is blank, no password will be required.
Deleted attachments move from the “Active” to “Deleted” tab in the Document Attachment Management window. Details of the Dynamics GP user, date, and time of deletion are referenced.
Allow attachments to be added in Inquiry windows
Mark this setting if you would like to allow users the option of attaching documents in certain “Inquiry Zoom” windows.
You can specify a password users must enter if they choose to attach a document to an inquiry window. If the password field is blank, no password will be required.
Allow attachment to flow from Master Records to Documents
Mark to allow documents to flow from the Customer, Vendor, Item, and PTE Employee Expense Master Records to related transactions entered in Dynamics GP.
If “Flow” is selected, the attachment from the Master Record will attach to each transaction entered.
If “Not Flow” is selected, the attachment from the Master Record will not attach to each transaction entered.
Send Attachments in email (Optional)
Mark this setting if you would like to allow users the option of emailing attached documents from the Document Attachment Management window.
Attribute Defaults (Optional)
Creating user-defined Attributes allow you to further describe the documents being attached.
Attaching Documents in Dynamics GP
Once you have activated the Document Attachment feature and defined your desired optional settings, you will be able to access the Document Attachment Management window from Master Records and Transactions windows noted above using the “Attach” icon.
Once a document or image has been attached, the “Attach” Icon changes from a paper clip to a page with a paper clip in the corner.
In the Document Attachment Management window, you will see the reference to the “Record Type” and “Record Number” for your attachments.
To attach a document or image to the record, select the “Attach” button in the lower right side of the Document Attachment Management window.
In the Select an Attachment window, browse to the location where you have placed the document or image you wish to attach, then select “Open”.
Repeat these steps for any additional attachments.
Once a document has been attached, you can enter a description to further describe the attachment and access the Attachment Properties window to add Attributes, and view or change Document Flow and Email Properties.
Other options in the Document Attachment Management window:
- Date and Time: Displays the date and time the document was attached.
- Origin: Shows the origin of each attachment. CC = Customer Card.
- File Name: Displays the file name attached. You can change the name of the document once attached.
- Delete Row: Allows you to delete an attachment. Deleted attachments move to the “Deleted” tab.
- Preview: Allows you to open and view the document.
- Scan: If you have a compatible scanner installed on your system, you can scan documents directly into Document Attachment.
Emailing Attached Documents
While entering transactions for Customers or Vendors in Dynamics GP, if there were prior Document Attachment documents on the Master Records that were set to “Flow” in the Document Attachment Management window, you can select which of these documents you wish to send via email.
In the Sales Transaction Entry window, select Actions >> Select Attachments to Send in Email.
Mark the attached documents to send via email along with the SOP Order document.
In the Purchase Order Entry window, select Actions >> Select Attachments to Send in Email.
Mark the attached documents to send via email along with the Purchase Order document.
Document Attachment SQL Tables
CO40100: Document Attach Setup
CO00101: Document Attach Master
CO00102: Document Attach Reference
CO00103: Document Attach Properties
CO00104: Document Attach Status
CO00105: Document Attach E-Mail
If you have any questions about Document Attachments in Dynamics GP, please contact us.
Webinar - Dynamics GP Coffee Break | Using and Enabling Document Attach
Find out how to setup and use Document Attach, how to attach document transactions, and how to properly store and view documents.
9:00 am – 9:25 pm PST
Webinar - Enabling Document Attach in GP
9:00 am – 9:25 pm PST