How to Enable Configuration Mode in Dynamics NAV 2013
Configuration mode is a setting in Microsoft Dynamics NAV that allows you to customize the user interface (UI) for a particular role. It will enable an Administrator or Super User to customize a profile themselves and then assign it to different users. That way, the users (especially novice users) will not have to go through the pain of customizing their profile, but allow someone else to customize it for them.
Here are the steps to enabling Configuration Mode. While you are in this mode, all of the modifications you make will be applied to everyone that will be assigned this particular role.
1) In NAV, navigate to the Profiles List:
- <Company Name>/Departments/Administration/Application Setup/RoleTailored Client/Profiles
- Select the Profile that you would like to use as a template (e.g. Project Manager)
- In the Actions Ribbon, click Copy Profile
- This will prompt you to name the new Profile
- Please note that this step is meant to preserve the default profile roles offered in Dynamics NAV. By copying a profile and then modifying that copy, this will ensure that the original profile role will remain the same.
2) Once the new Profile appears in the list, close NAV.
3) Create a new NAV shortcut:
- In File Explorer, navigate to the Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client Icon. Since NAV is installed directly on my computer, I navigated using this directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\71\RoleTailored Client
- Right Click Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client Icon, create Shortcut (to Desktop)
4) Open the Properties of the newly created shortcut icon.
- Under the Shortcut menu in the ribbon in the Target field, enter the following text at the end of the directory: -configure -profile:”revised project manager”
- Notice that the ProfileID is exactly the same that was created in NAV.
- The text in the Target field should have the following:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\71\RoleTailored Client\Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.exe” -configure -profile:”revised project manager”
5) Rename the Shortcut icon so that you will know it is in Configuration Mode.
- E.g. I renamed it: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client – Revised_Project_Manager Config Role
6) Double click the Configuration Mode icon and it will take you into Configuration Mode in NAV. Notice in the top right corner that you are now in Configuration Mode.
7) Now, you can customize the User Interface:
- Once you are finished customizing, assign the users to the new role
- Navigate to: <Company Name>/Departments/Administration/Application Setup/RoleTailored Client/User Personalization
- Double-click User ID
- Select the new Profile ID
8) Exit out of Configuration Mode.
- Please be mindful that every time that you enter through the Configuration Shortcut, whatever personal customizations you do will impact all the other users who are assigned to this role.
9) Next time that the users enter NAV, their UI will be changed according to your configuration
Subscribe to receive our monthly newsletters with the latest updates all in one place! Get important product information, event recaps, blog articles, and more.