Field Level Security in Dynamics GP
In Dynamics GP, there may be some windows that you don’t want certain users to have access to. This could be to prevent them from being able to alter fields where the data tends to be on the sensitive side. Item cost and price are good examples of this.
Luckily, if you have Field Level Security set up, you can make these windows only accessible if you have password clearance.
It may be possible that you are not registered to use Field Level Security, you can check if you are by following the path:
Microsoft Dynamics GP >> Tools >> Setup >> System >> Registration
Once registration is confirmed, you will need to set up Field Level Security.
To set up a specific window, click ‘add’ at the bottom of the screen, which will take you to the resource explorer page.
For this exercise, we will create the field ‘item price’ which can be found by following this path:
Inventory >> Inquiry >> Price ltem
After clicking add, select the product name lookup (magnifying glass) and select ‘Microsoft Dynamics GP’.
After selecting ‘Item Price’ in the inventory module, the security mode needs to be set up. For this instance, I used ‘Password Window’ – which requires a password be entered before access to the window is granted. Once you select the ‘password ID’ lookup, you will be taken to another page which will allow you to set up a password name, description, and physical password.
The Form/Window name is an important field to note as it includes which window will be affected after you make the changes. This particular change will affect the item price list inquiry.
The ‘security mode’ dropdown in the Field Security Maintenance window give you a list of what type of security options are available:
- Password Before: You must enter a password before getting access to a field.
- Password After: You must enter a password after modifying a field for the changes to be saved.
- Warning Before: A warning will be displayed and access to that field will be denied.
- Lock Field: You can’t use or modify the field.
- Disable Field: The field will be displayed but it will not be available.
- Hide Field: The field won’t be displayed.
- Password Window: You must enter a password before access to the window is permitted.
- Disable Window: Enter the system administrator’s password to have access to the window.
- Password Form: Users or classes must enter the correct password before access to the form is permitted.
- Disable Form: You must enter the system administrator’s password to modify the form.
Once you have completed the ‘Field Security Setup’ you will need to apply the changes to whichever company in GP you want the security measure to take affect in.
In this instance, we will use the default Fabrikam company.
After applying the changes, we can confirm they took by going to the Price List in Inventory >> Inquiry >> Price List.
After entering the password I had set up before, I am taken to the desired window.
If you would like to learn more about Field Level Security, our team of GP experts will gladly walk you through the process. Don’t hesitate to reach out!
Get 8 premium pieces of content that will help you plan a Dynamics GP upgrade!