Gartner’s “Magic Quadrant” for Business Intelligence (BI) and Analytics Platforms has been released. In 2014, data discovery and analytics tools dominate new purchasing requirements for BI. However, this challenge has not yet been fully answered by any one vendor. According to Gardner, the BI platform market has grown to $14.1 billion in size. Much of the investment in 2013 was focused on BI-centric consolidation to allow for large-scale systems of record reporting.
Quoted from Gartner, the magic quadrant this year is driven by 17 features In 3 categories:
- Information Delivery
- Ad hoc report/query
- Microsoft Office integration
- Mobile BI
- Interactive visualization
- Search based data discovery
- Geospatial and location intelligence
- Embedded advanced analytics
- Online analytics processing (OLAP)
- BI infrastructure and administration
- Metadata management
- Business user data mashup and modeling
- Development tools
- Embeddable analytics
- Support for big data sources
The main contenders for top dog this year appear to be Tableau, Qlikview, Microsoft, IBM and Tibco (Spotfire).
According to the Gartner Report:
Tableau’s highly intuitive, visual-based data discovery, dashboarding, and data mashup capabilities have transformed business users’ expectations about what they can discover in data and share without extensive skills or training with a BI platform.
- Tableau customers remain extremely happy for the 4th year in a row. Its core differentiation is making business intelligence easier and accessible.
- Tableau has moved forward to focus on the enterprise market. Providing features to enable reusability, scalability and embeddability within a organization.
- 73% of users selected Tableau for ease of use for end users.
To learn more about your product take a look at the Gartner Report for 2014 for Business Intelligence.
Get the full report on the top BI Vendors.