Account Rollup is a little hidden gem very few users know about. It is a way of combining non-related accounts (accounts not in a range) in a nice tabular display. It offers an alternative to comparing account actuals (This Year, Previous Years), budgets and variances. All easily exported to Excel!
Follow these steps to learn how to use this feature:
1. From the Financial Page, Go to Inquiry > Financial > Account Rollup
2. Enter an Option ID. This inquiry can be used again without having to rebuild it.
3. Tabbing off the Option ID gives you the opportunity to save this option. When you click YES, the Account Rollup Inquiry Options window will open. Note: If you have an existing Option, you can click the Modify button to open this window.
4. Sort by: Choose Segment to sort by.
This field will determine how the drilldown reports are printed. Note: If you have named these segments (Tools > Setup > Company > Account format) the names of the segments will appear in this field, instead of Segment 1, Segment 2, etc.)
5. Columns should, by default, read ‘1’. You can add up to four columns.
6. In the scrolling window, Column Heading will read Column 1. Change this column to a more meaningful label.
7. Choose Type:
- Actual – current year actual amounts
- Budget – choose from any budget, or book, set up in Dynamics GP. Under selection use the looking glass to choose a Budget.
- Calculated – use for manipulating data in columns
- Beside the Selection header, click the blue go to button. This will open the Account Rollup Inquiry Calculated Column window.
- In the Column field choose a column you would like to use in this calculation and click the insert icon beside the field.
- Use the constant field to add a constant integer
- Click the operand buttons to create your formula
- To remove anything from the formula, highlight the item and click remove.
- Enter the formula objects in order to create your formula
- Previous Year – previous year amounts
- Other Currency – to report any multicurrency activity
- Under the selection use the looking glass to choose a currency.
8. To add additional column, change column number to 2 (or 3, or 4) and Repeat step 5 through 8.
9. Choose what accounts you will be reporting on.
Note: You can’t report on both Unit and Posting accounts in the same inquiry.
10. After all columns have been set up, Choose Segment Number (or name).
11. Enter a From and To IF the accounts are in a range. Enter a From and To with the same account if it is a single account.
12. Click Insert.
13. Repeat step 11 and 12 for each number, in this segment, you want to report on. These numbers do not need to be in a range. They can be random.
14. Repeat steps 10 through 13, if you would like to add a different segment restriction.
Example, you could report on two department segment numbers and include three main segment account numbers.
15. Click Inquiry and save the Option. This will open the Account Rollup Inquiry window.
Note: When prompted to save or delete ALWAYS click Save. Any changes made are permanent and cannot be deleted. If you click delete you will delete the entire report.
16. Click Redisplay
Drilldown for detail
17. Choose the Year you would like to report and click Redisplay.
18. Choose what you would like to see in the display window. Net Change amounts or Period Balance amounts.
19. Click Print for a display of what is in the window.
Note: When you print this inquiry, both net change and period balance will print.
Note: Each time you change the parameters in either the Account Rollup Inquiry Options window or the Account Rollup Inquiry window, you will need to click Redisplay to reflect your changes.
20. Highlight a period and click the blue underlined header links to drill into a period for detail.
21. Choose to print in Summary or Detail and click the Print Icon.
Note: the sorting on these reports is determined from the ‘sort by’ chosen in the Account Rollup Inquiry window. (See step #4)
22. Select an account and click the Blue underlined link Balance.
Note: If you have Net Change selected it will only show transactions for the period selected. If you select Period Balances, it will show balances from the first transaction date to the end of the period selected.
23. Highlight a Journal Entry and click the blue underlined Journal Entry.
- This will take you to the journal Entry.
24. Click the blue underlined Source Document
- This will take you back to the original transaction entry, where you can view the distributions and apply information.
Warning: If you close the Account Rollup Inquiry Options window using the X, you will be prompted to Save the changes. IF you choose Delete, you will delete the entire Option. Unfortunately changes cannot be undone.
And you’re done! If you have any questions about Dynamics GP, please feel free to contact us.
Webinar - Dynamics GP Coffee Break | How to Do a Bank Reconciliation
Learn how to do a Bank Reconciliation in Dynamics GP and some tips and tricks throughout the process.
9:00 am – 9:25 am PST
Webinar - Dynamics GP Bank Reconciliation
9:00 am – 9:25 am PST