Having the ability to create and edit documents and journals in Excel, as well as uploading the data sounds like a dream, doesn’t it? Microsoft has done just that by introducing the Edit in Excel function in the cloud version of Dynamics 365 Business Central. However, all the fields that one may require to input data may not be available right from start. This article will explain how fields can be added into the Excel file for the Edit in Excel function.
Note: to use this function Office 2016 or higher is required.
If you haven’t set up Edit in Excel yet, please refer to our blog How to Set Up Edit in Excel for Dynamics 365 Business Central SaaS before learning how to Add Fields.
How to Add Fields to Excel for Edit in Excel Function
1. Open the page that you would like to edit using the Edit in Excel functionality and select Edit in Excel under the Page tab.
2. Save and open the Excel file. At this stage you might need to sign in using your Office 365 credentials.
3. Select Design under the Microsoft Dynamics box as highlighted below.
4. Click on the blank column next to where the table ends.
5. In the new page that opens, select either Edit or Add Fields as highlighted below.
6. Add the fields that are required and click Update after all the desired fields have been added. Below we have added the field Tax Area Code.
7. Once the desired fields get added, click refresh to make sure Excel is repopulated with data including data in this field.
8. After entering all the data click Publish to make the changes reflected in the Business Central.
26 Creative Ways Companies are Using Dynamics 365
Find out how companies like yours are using Dynamics 365 to manage their customer relationships and drive revenue.Get The White Paper