Co-workers using Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations can collaborate better if they can view and discuss their workspaces right in Teams. Below are simple instructions to set that up.
If you are looking for an integration between Teams and D365 F&O, this may provide much of the functionality you are looking for, although it is not technically a true integration.
Note: Even though most customers, commentators, and consultants still call it Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations, Microsoft now technically licenses it as Dynamics 365 Finance and Supply Chain Management.
Steps to Embed Dynamics 365 Pages into Teams
Within Teams you can add tabs that show webpages. That includes any Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations page!
To do this, you don’t need to be an administrator of either Teams or Dynamics 365.
- Open the relevant workspace or other page in D365 with your browser, and copy the url.
- In Teams, click on the relevant channel.
- Click on the “+” icon in the list of tabs for that channel, near the top of your Teams window.
- Choose “website” in the top left of the list of possible tabs. Then paste in the url.
Chat and Meet about Dynamics 365 Workspaces
Once your D365 page is embedded into Teams, you can use the Chat and Meet options at the top right of the screen. This allows you to reach out through a Chat (text or audio) or Meet (now or schedule) to a colleague and share the screen within Teams.
The conversation is then registered on the Teams Channel where the chat was initiated from for future reference.
Note: The chats and meeting info are stored in Teams, not inserted anywhere inside Dynamics 365.
Example Use Cases
You could create a channel for the accounts payable department inside Teams and add tabs showing all their needed workspaces.
Imagine you’re busy in a workspace in Dynamic 365 F&O and have a question about it for one of your colleagues. Normally, you’d have to switch to Outlook, draft an email, put in a screenshot, type your question, and send.
But if you’ve got the page embedded into Teams, you can chat from the same screen as the D365 page you’re looking at. And your conversation stays associated to that page, making it easy to find and remember for the future.
Technical Details and Limitations of Embedding D365 Pages as Teams Tabs
- Users are authenticated through Teams with Active Directory. So if a person without the relevant Dynamics 365 license or security role attempts to access this tab, they won’t be able to see the Dynamics 365 interface.
- If you navigate around the D365 interface from within the tab, that won’t change what D365 page other users see. So if you want to comment on a specific record, for instance, make sure to identify that record for your co-workers.
- Technically, this approach also works for Dynamics 365 CRM solutions like D365 Sales, but there are other options better suited to those situations. Ask a partner about Teams integration with Dynamics 365 CRM apps.
For more ideas to help you work smarter in Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations, you may want to explore:
- Create and Share a Saved View in Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations
- Create a Workspace in Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations
- Deploy Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations Expense Management on Mobile
- Glossary of commonly asked-about terms in D365FO
To get specific assistance, training, and advice for your Dynamics solution, contact us.
Do you have questions about all the different terms in D365FO? Check our glossary of the most commonly asked-about terms, with definitions and examples.