Saving a query in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations makes your work faster and improves consistency in the data you look at over time.
You are likely all too familiar with this situation: You need to run a query with specific parameters that you already used last quarter or last year, but you forget what the exact parameters were.
In this article, I’ll show you how to save the query, so you don’t have the same problem next time.
Note: Even though most customers, commentators, and consultants still call it Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations, Microsoft now technically licenses it as Dynamics 365 Finance and Supply Chain Management.
Save a Query in Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations
- Click Options in the Action pane of the menu selection for your module.
- Select Page Options> Advanced filter or sort.
In this example I will navigate to General Ledger> Inquiries and reports> Voucher Transactions.But you can do this just about anywhere in the system.
- Now set the details of your advanced filter or sort. In my example, when I select Voucher transactions, it opens a blank query form.
Instead of pressing Ok to populate all transactions, I want to view all Tangible fixed assets (MainAccount – 180100), and I want to view all transactions for the past 5 years.
Note: In order to indicate a range of dates in Finance & Operations Advanced Filter & Sort, we put two periods (..) between the two dates.
Main Account -180100 – Tangible fixed assets
Date range: January 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020 (1/1/2015..12/31/2020)
- Click Modify> Save as to assign the query a name and save it. This allows you to recall that specific query anytime you need it without having to key in your criteria again.In this instance I have saved the query as “5Yr Tangible Assets.”Below is the result of the “5Yr Tangible Assets” query.
I have seen several good saved queries from clients using Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations:
- Purchasing managers viewing specific on-hand inventory
- Accounting managers processing accounts payable from multiple bank accounts
- Production managers who are only interested in specific production-related activities
Any team that uses Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations can raise their efficiency by learning to save queries.
I hope this brief explanation has you wanting to learn more! Check out these articles on other ways to improve your efficiency in D365FO:
For support and training in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations, reach out to Encore today.
Webinar - Automating Warehouse Management in Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations
This webinar shows you what you need to prepare to automate your warehouse management in Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations. This will be useful to production managers and warehouse managers.
9:00 am – 9:30 am PST
Webinar - Automating WMS in D365 F&O
9:00 am – 9:30 am PST