New Features in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3
Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 is expected to be released April 2014. As a result, we are starting to look forward to the anticipated new features.
As with most releases of Dynamics, the new capabilities added to Dynamics AX 2012 R3 span horizontal and vertical features; however, this time enhancements also include mobile apps.
The new Dynamics AX 2012 R3 horizontal features are expected to cover e-procurement and budget planning to help improve operational efficiencies and support the planning needs of complex organizations.
E-procurement new features include:
- Improved management of Request for Information (RFIs), Request for Proposal (RFPs) and Request for Quote (RFQ) from solicitation to award for enhanced efficiency
- Better control on response types to include sealed, open, and reverse auction type bids
- Ability to define evaluation criteria and scoring of RFxs upfront, allowing for improved decision making
Anticipated Budget planning features include:
- Budget allocation based on allocation basis rules
- Improved process flexibility and control by default and locked dimension values on certain type of budget plans
- Evaluation of different scenarios for what-if analysis
Microsoft has also made many enhancements to Warehouse Management and Retail Dynamics AX 2012 R3.
Warehouse Management has improvements to capabilities that will help users streamline distribution and warehouse operations. Improvements include:
- Enhanced inventory control through 360 inventory visibility, real-time cycle counting and replenishment
- Embedded radio frequency that provides real-time transaction processing through mobile devices including receiving, putting away, picking, staging and loading
- Rate, route and load planning that includes inbound and outbound planning, order consolidation, routing guides, constraints-based routing, load build capacity calculations, multi-mode planning, and methods to select a rate for specific loads based on the carrier’s rate profile
Retail is a fast-paced and ever evolving industry. Shoppers are mobile, connected and expect an omni-channel shopping experience. Microsoft created the following features with that in mind.
- A native and immersive Windows 8 Tablet Point of Sales (POS) and Mobile POS for Windows Phone 8, allowing retailers to provide differentiating customer facing in-store experiences
- Loyalty programs across legal-entities and tiering of customers as well as enhanced gift card support
- Enrichments to pricing and promotions, assortment and catalog, BI and reporting, and seasonality and markdowns enhancements helping optimize revenue
As mentioned above, Microsoft has also added mobile apps with this release. It’s not a new concept for employees to be on the move all the time. Mobile apps makes it easier for them to do certain tasks on the go and improves their efficiency.
- Time entry allows employees to capture time worked on projects simplifying this administrative task while providing businesses the opportunity to improve working capital through decreased billing cycle times
- Approvals enables business requests like budget, time sheets, submitted expense reports to be approved on the go
- Capturing and reconciling expenses while traveling allows organizations to implement policies more seamlessly and shortening time to get money back to employees
You can learn more about the expected feature enhancements in the Dynamics AX Statement of Direction. As we get closure to the release of R3, more details will be released.
We specialize in providing technical assessments, break-fix support, optimization services, and solution expansion projects for Dynamics AX (Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations)